“Most Likely to Succeed” had me spiralling between different emotions. When we were first introduced to High Tech High my initial reaction was “Well that’s the dream isn’t it?” I feel that most teachers would be ecstatic to be told that they can teach what they want and how they want. Quickly though, I began to have many of the same apprehensions that are voiced throughout the film.

I believe that yes, the premise of High Tech High is something that we should strive for and I do believe that it is the education that will create adults more prepared for the job market of the 21st century. However, as the students at the traditional high school, and parents, voiced, we aren’t there yet. So maybe we are at a transitionary place, which is an uncomfortable place to be.

I can so easily see myself in so many of the students that were featured. I was awkward and wanted to please people like Samantha. I had a tendency to be a perfectionist with too big ideas and a tendency to procrastinate like Bryan (still do). I was the girl stressing about her grades to get into university and preaching the gospel of the almighty importance of a letter grade. Though honestly Bryan impressed me the most, he failed to meet his deadline and at his age that would have completely crushed me to the point that I’d probably be having an anxiety attack. Now I’m not sure if his reaction is different because of his character or the values that have been enforced by the school, but I don’t know that I would have had the drive to stay for weeks after the exhibition to finish the project. I don’t know who I would be had I gone to High Tech High, but I have to believe that I would know what interests me and have a better sense of self and confidence.

I can also see myself in the math teacher trying to bring the new teaching style to the traditional public school. In my last job I would try to mix things up and introduce new projects or activities, but the kids were comfortable with what they knew, and as I was hired to give them stability, I tended to let them dictate the programming which ended up being repetitive. In a setting where my role was as a teacher and not as a youth worker, would I be able to stick to my guns and teach the way that I feel is best? Should a teacher not listen to what their students are saying? If a large portion of the class is saying “teach to the test” is teaching to the test not student focused and guided, even if you believe you know better?

Though my honest reaction? Thank god I’ll be teaching elementary or middle school in Canada and not high school in the United States because if I had to teach to the SATs, I’m not sure I would make it.